Friday 19 November 2010

Turning up in life...


As I sit on a train to Paris, having just left Amsterdam, I’m struck by how funny the world is. If I were to personify the weird and wonderful workings of the world, I would make the world an old man, in a Disney kind of way. I would give him benevolent eyes, a hearty laugh and a twinkle in his eye. He would always have Werther’s Originals in his pocket and he would slip a pound coin into your sweaty palm when your parents weren’t looking. It appears I’ve turned the world in Santa Claus. Well, I suppose that’s not a bad thing.

But I digress.

The fact is, is that we try so desperately to control everything. We try to control where we live and where we work and who our friends are and what clothes we wear and how thin we are and what the colour of our hair is, or what the colour of our walls is but the reality is that we are so busy trying to control the small things that we absent mindedly forget about the big things. And it’s those big things that my imaginary, Santa-Claus type man bends to his own will.

I live by two principles:
1. Listen to the universe.
2. Turn up in life.

I think the reason I’m writing this now is because, for a long time, I forgot to do those two things. But, as I sit in first class on a train zipping between fabulous cities as part of my new career I realize how lucky it was that, after 5 years of succumbing to what was easy, I suddenly decided to listen to the universe and turn up in life. If I’d not done those two things then I wouldn’t be here. I’d still be stuck in a classroom, getting Repetetive Strain Injury from marking the same grammatical errors (always apostrophes and semi colons) and saying the same things (tuck your shirt in, throw your gum in the bin etc) wondering what it was like to work with grown ups.

It’s funny that we believe that we have control over our destiny. We don’t. We work with what we’re given but don’t ever doubt for a second that we are ‘given’ things. That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t work hard, or try to do the best we possibly can to make things happen but in the end we have to believe that whatever happens, whether it’s good or bad, if we learn to adapt the best possible outcome will always emerge. I fully believe that.

So my message is short and sweet but honest. Even the worst moments are there to allow us to shine. Believe in the overall power of goodness. Never let the worst moments drag you down. Measure yourself by your ability to keep going and keep making good decisions even when it seems like your walking backwards through mud. And always, always turn up in life.

11 comments:

  1. Ah Cat, as always, got it in one I reckon. I also reckon that you're my philosophical twin xD

    From one Spelling/Grammar Nazi to another - and I know my friends will tut at me for this because, although I am strict with English, I, too, make mistakes! - am pretty sure that "what the colour of our walls is" should be "what the colour of our walls are".

    Okay...feel free to hit me XD And I don't want to turn this comment section into a debate about what's right or wrong XD It just sounded a bit funny in my head and thought I should let you know in case it was just a human error.

    I kinda worry, because people can sometimes see "correctors" as show offs or know-it-alls, and I'm not doing it to take the mick, I'm genuinely just letting you know xD 'kay? 'kay. Cool.

    Sorry =S *loosens neck of shirt*

    x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Caz...an easy mistake to make!!! But the 'is' applies to 'colour' which is singular and therefore requires an 'is' rather than an 'are'. However, while it is grammatically correct, it doesn't scan very well and should say, "What the colours of our walls are..."

    So, we're both a little bit right and a little bit wrong.

    Back in your box ;-)

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm this is a tricky one! You used to be an English teacher with obviously more knowledge in English than me LOL XD However, "what the colour of our wall is" seems to me personally, make more sense in my head than "what the colour of our walls is"

    I get what you're saying, because you said "colour" and not "colours", it's just the wall/walls bit that threw me!

    My mind is boggled. I bloody hate English at times!! It really can be confusing, no wonder it's one of the hardest languages to learn (apparently). But hey, I'll take your word for it. xD Maybe I should take more English classes, I'm clearly losing my touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'What the colour of our wall is' is totally grammatically correct.

    'What the colour of our walls is' is also correct...I promise!

    The subject of the sentence is 'colour' so the is/our depends on whether that's singular or plural.

    Either way...the point is that you don't just read it but you read it really closely. For that I'll always be grateful!!!!!

    Big love

    C xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I weren't saying you were wrong lol!! I was just trying to make sense of it. You know when you read/hear a word and you're like..."is that a word?"

    Recently, I was at a meeting and this little card said "geting". I was like..."shouldn't there be 2 T's??" and I spent about 5 minutes debating to myself about whether this was a mistake or not and I really confused myself. It's such a simple word and one we use all the time, but for a split second my brain decided to fart out all the English knowledge that I had. Or, you know when you say a word so many times it no longer sounds like a word but some weird noise?

    ...Just me? Alright then. But hopefully you get what I'm saying xD I was just confuuuuuuused! Although in my first post it sounds like I was *actually* correcting you - which wasn't the tone I wanted! *rips hair out*

    But yes - I do read closely! And because of that, I have learned something. So thanks! Cos otherwise that would have been whirling aroud my head like the annoying noise of a fly so I'm glad it's been cleared up XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahahahahaha! By the way...it's not just you! Whenever I repeat the word 'bottle' over and over and over and over it starts to sound WEIRD!!!!

    Please don't worry! I'm not offended! You rock and I always love your comments!

    ps: your block rocked the big one too!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHEW - I AM NOT A FREAK. This requires a celebration. Please excuse me while I grab my BOTTLE of Champagne and scramble to find my BOTTLE opener so I can open my BOTTLE of Bubbly and drink straight from the BOTTLE =D

    XD I think the word Bubble is quite funny, personally. And Turnip. Who the fuck invented the word "Turnip"?!

    Okay. Cool. You're not offended, phew!!!!

    "Your block rocked the big one too!" ? Okay, I must be being thick again. What block of mine rocked? Do you mean Blog? Big one of what?

    Jesus, I reckon my brain is aged 21 going on 200. I think I think to transfer myself into a care home if this confusion continues.

    Who are you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK...I meant BLOG!!!!! I'm a douche!

    It's late and I'm privately celebrating my impromptu trip to New York that I've booked for Monday.

    Big love x

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha! You're not a douche - don't be daft! You're allowed it afater totally whipping me ;-)

    Oooh a trip to New York!! Wrap up warm, it'll be cold!! Have tons of fun Cat =D

    x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slightly patronising blog. Thanks for that.

    How awful that some of us who understand the real joy (and work. . . and satisfaction) of teaching are left behind in your wake to succumb to "what is easy".

    You may have 'turned up in life' (how contrived), but it seems you may have never 'turned up' in a student's life. Sad? Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hitowadarega....

    I'm so sorry you took my blog that way. It certainly wasn't meant like that. The last thing I want to do is patronise. As for being contrived...maybe it is. It was something my mum said to me when I was little. It's something that's stayed with me. I'll take it up with her. I'll tell her she should come up with something more original in future.

    But, as for teaching...I absolutely didn't meant to imply that teaching was easy...but that my choice to stay there, despite not being totally happy, was the easy option, rather than to take a risk and make a change. Teaching is definitely not the easy option. I did it for five years and it was working with students that I loved and that was, without doubt, rewarding. At the end of the day, at this point in my life, it wasn't something I could continue doing...for a number of reasons. It's an outstandingly difficult profession to do because, it isn't just a job, it's a lifestyle and I fully admire those that stay in the profession. I couldn't do it. I'm sorry if I offended.

    What else can I say? I guess you won't be following the blog. You win some, you lose some.

    I hope you're not still angry.

    Cat

    ReplyDelete