Wednesday 18 May 2011

Hen Do or Hen Don't?



I ask you one simple question: is it possible to have a 'classy' hen do? Is there anyone out there who has been to a 'classy' hen do? The reason I ask is that I'm just over 72 hours away from my very own pink, fluffy hen do and all I can hope is that it, well, isn't pink and fluffy.

It's not that I'm against the tradition. In fact, I'm really looking forward to it in all its girly glory but I can't help but worry about certain elements. I've been quite 'bridezilla' in my demands:

- NO strippers
- NO sashes
- NO overt willies

When I say no to 'strippers' I mean exactly that. I don't care if they don't go 'the whole way'; if a man who has been paid to remove any item of clothing comes within 15 feet of my party I will remove my fabulous four inch heels and run as fast as I can home. When I say no to 'sashes' it's really because pink won't go with my outfit and when I say no to 'overt willies' I am mainly referring to real life ones, ones that are attached to a headband or ones that are inflatable. I don't mind little ones made of ice to put in drinks and I don't really mind straws resembling funny boysticks but I definitely don't want people to look at me and have 'willy' be their first thought.

But, having said all of that (and really believing it), can you have a real hen party without those things? If you don't have those things, isn't it just another normal, drink-fuelled-girly-get-together? And if it is just that, is that ok? If I insist on a hen-cliche free day am I shooting myself in the traditional foot and doing myself out of what is effectively a rite of passage?

I did go to a PG hen party once. It was lovely. It was in the garden. The sun was shining. There were lots of girls in pretty dresses and a fair amount of champagne, but in the end it felt like a garden party rather than a memorable send-off into the wild lands of marriage. There was a Mr & Mrs Quiz but the most risque question was, "Who would Boris say was the best cook?" (names have been changed to protect identities). It did all feel a bit like I was babysitting a 12 year-old's birthday. We left the party feeling a little hard-done by. Alright, we didn't want a stripper to make us eat a banana covered in squeezy cream from between his buttocks, but we would have liked to watch the bride do it.

So I'm left in a dilemma. Do I hope that my hens have ignored all my requests and indulged in sashes, feathers and cocks on headbands? Or, do I forge ahead with my plans for a hen party that Audrey Hepburn would be proud of? Well, I suppose in the end, it doesn't really matter. It's all about giggling our way through the day and if it takes a few naughty words and some willy-shaped props then that's what it takes. Who cares what other people think? I'll get what I'm given...and knowing my sister, it will be a day to remember in one way or another.

3 comments:

  1. Well. When/if I get married I would prefer a classy hen do over the traditional "cocks everywhere, too many sashes and a hoard of strippers in your face" party. To be honest, I think that anyone who does that is just lacking imagination, surely? I mean, I'm definitely not a prudish person but all of that kind of stuff just isn't my character. If someone else wants to do it, that's absolutely up to them, but who wants a party that's exactly the same as everyone elses? "What did you do for your hen party?" "Oh you know, went to a club, got drunk, there was a stripper, and then I can't really remember what happened after that..."
    What would I do for my own Hen party? No idea (to be honest I haven't really thought about it xD) but I'd be the same as you; banning all the traditional stuff left, right and centre. You can still have fun without being outrageous :-)

    However, whatever happens at yours I honestly hope you have an absolutely fabulous time!

    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tutu. Covered in vom. Chained to a lampost. AND NOTHING ELSE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't been to a hen do in a while, but one of the best I went on was a pub crawl, and my friend who was getting married, is tee total! So whenever alchoholic drinks were bought for her, I took the bullet for her and imbibed them. Needless to say, we both had a great night ^_^
    She, like you didn't want any of the cliched things attached to the hen party, so no stripper or willys in sight, but we still had a hilarious night, and I think we covered most of the pubs in the town (at that time about 17!, so I think it can be done.
    I hope you have an enjoyable party, and that your head isn't too fuzzy Sunday morning ;-)

    ReplyDelete