Thursday 3 February 2011

iLoveFilm.com


I love film. I'm not promoting a new way of approaching film rental, I'm simply stating a fact. I love film. One of my new freelance enterprises is through a company called FILMCLUB (www.filmclub.org) and if you have never heard of them then you must go and see what they are all about. Funded by the Department of Education, it works tirelessly to set up film clubs in schools across the nation. Why? Well, simply put (and I whole-heartedly agree with them) they believe that providing children with access to a wide range of films is one of the most mind-opening, knowledge-enhancing, tolerance-building things that we can do.

Somebody asked me that impossible-to-answer question today: what is your favourite film? Well, if you will imagine for a moment that I have about 10,000 children, it's a little like asking me which one is my favourite. First of all, it changes all the time. I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers but pushed to decide on just one? Fargo. No, The Big Lebowski. Wait, no, I meant, No Country for Old Men. You see? I can't answer that. And, if I left it at the Coen Brothers, I'd be lying. That's my "cool" answer. Don't get me wrong - I HEART the Coen Brothers but my less cool (and just as honest) answer would have to be Top Gun. I know that's not cool or hip or trendy or even slightly respectable but it's more to do with the associations that I attach to the film.

I remember watching Top Gun for the first time when I was about ten. I'd just been allowed to have a TV in my own room (ah, the luxury!) and it was on waaaaaay past my bed time. I had to turn the volume right down because I didn't want my parents to wake up, so I had to sit about three inches away from the screen trying to hear everything. I remember laughing at Goose's wicked one-liners, and 'fan-gurling' over Tom Cruise (that was before I knew any better) and thinking this was possibly, just about the best film I'd ever secretly seen. For the first sixty minutes, time stopped, the world ceased to turn and absolutely nothing else occurred beyond the four walls of my bedroom.

Then (excuse the spoiler) Goose died.

I think that was the first time in my life that I'd been emotionally torn apart by a film. From the moment the opening credits had rolled and Maverick had been told that if he didn't behave he'd, "be flying a plane full of rubber dog sh*t from Hong Kong" I had fallen in love with Goose. I think it was the first film I'd seen where they didn't all live. I had a Dorothy moment: I suddenly realised I wasn't in Disney anymore. I was heartbroken. I cried and cried and cried and then cried some more. I remember feeling real grief for about two days. It haunted me. Then my mum took me to see Philadelphia and I realised I wasn't going to last long in the cinematic cut-throat, heart-wrenching world unless I manned up a bit.

Since then favourite films have come and gone. In the early days, Labyrinth and The Princess Bride stood on a pedestal way to high for any other film to get near. Later, Teen Wolf and Major League took over and now? Well, that brings us back to where I started.

The point I wanted to make is the importance of films, all films in our lives. I was lucky enough to have a father who was passionate about films and who took me to the cinema and exposed me to films that I otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity to see. I vividly remember him taking five minutes in the car park after watching a film at the movie theatre. He would write the title of the film in his diary and give it a certain amount of stars out of five depending on how good he thought it was. We would discuss what we liked and didn't like about it and then we would negotiate a star rating between us. What's even better is that I would bet both my legs that he's still got all those diaries. I'd love to go through them one day and see what we decided for various films. I'm pretty sure that my early choices (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure or Mr. Nanny) didn't rate very highly on my Dad's scale. Now though, he steals all my DVDs and calls me after each one to dissect it.

And, at the heart of it, that's what FILMCLUB is all about. Even if kids don't have dads to take them to the cinema and get them talking about it afterwards and even if kids watch films they don't like, or that make them sad, FILMCLUB provides them with an opportunity to access those films. They can still go home and tell their parents all about it and that's a conversation that they otherwise wouldn't have with their parents. It's an opportunity for them to have opinions that aren't coloured by curriculums or exams or anything else. Films open their eyes to worlds, cultures and experiences that they may have only seen in their hazy dreams. Films make kids cry. But they also make them smile and laugh and stare in wonder at what the world has to offer us.

If you are a parent, or a teacher or an aunt or you simply know any kids...ask them if their school runs a FILMCLUB. If they don't direct them to the website www.filmclub.org or tell them to go to school and demand that their teachers go to the website. I promise you, they'll never look back.

5 comments:

  1. I do love films but since being with my boyrfriend I've realised that there are so many classics I never knew about. I'm an all round Disney girl at heart - I grew up with it just like most kids did but I didn't just sit and watch - I actually *performed*. This is embarrassing, but I'll tell you anyway. When I watched Beauty and the Beast you can bet your last pound coin that I grabbed my little basket, put a few books in it and paraded around the room singing the song like Belle did around that "poor provincial town". And then I used to get changed into a gold dress and walk slowly down the stairs when Belle was about to dance with the Beast.
    Films aren't just there to watch - if they're good and pull your heartstrings, they get you emotionally involved...and physically involved too, if you're retarded like me.
    Disney also inspired me to draw, so films can also help develop your creativity. The songs too!! They inspired me to sing. I'm still not very good but there's nothing better than being in your house alone and belting a Disney song with full force and feeling! Everyone altogether: PART OF YOUR WOOOORRRRLD...
    Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I agree with you, Cat. And the amazing thing about Disney films in particular is that, as a child, there are a lot of messages that you miss. Seriously, watch Hunchback of Notre Dame and particularly listen to Frollo's song "Hellfire". My eyes were literally popping when I heard it again as an adult.

    Other amazing films that I've seen since being forced to watch them by my boyfriend are Fight Club and Seven. I love clever films like those because they engage you and I always appreciate a smart storyline. Probably because I couldn't write a smart one myself. *sad, self pitying moment*

    But I also love films that are shot beautifully with fantastic costumes, set and culture. Pan's Labyrinth and Memoirs of a Geisha fall into this category for me!

    Films are epic, it's like you're immersed in another world for over an hour. I think filmclub is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, I missed reading your blogs like nothing else! I have missed the previous one but as soon as I'm going to finish writing this comment I will go and read that one as well.

    I was eager to read this since I first saw the title just because I am willing to study film and maybe to become a film maker if everything goes well. At the moment, all I can do is take photos because I don't have the gear I need to record films. As soon as I will get one, I will probably spend hours in a row with my friends filming them and then coming home and putting everything together and making a serie of little films of nothing. This is what I crave for at the moment.

    I am not necessarily into watching a lot of films. Well, I do enjoy watching them a lot, but to my shame there's quite some time since I last watched one. On the other hand, I enjoy making them like no other. And I swear I agree with everything you wrote there. Films can deffo change your life; it does sound cliche but I bet you know what I mean - they're really powerful. Just as you said, through a movie you can discover lifetime experiences that otherwise you wouldn't have been able to even dream of. It is weird, but so damn true.

    And the effect is probably a lot more intense to kids than it is to adults. I wish my country had such projects but unfortunately, my school at least, emphasizes science and harsh reality. In a couple years maybe it will get better and people will see education is not ALL ABOUT this.

    PS. By the way, my favourite film has to be 'Seven Pounds'. I think I saw it last summer and then watched it again for like... 10 times? It is definitely not the cool way to answer the 'what's your favourite film' question, but as you said, the honest one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must find out if my nephew and nieces school are aware of it.
    I saw a video made by them at the premiere of Tangled, that Matt Lucas put up, this week, and it was good to see the stars being interviewed by a child, as they didn't get asked deep probing questions, they got asked questions only kids would think of. Which is quite refreshing and much more entertaining.
    I love films too, haven't had the chance to go to the cinema much lately, but I do love going. Try to keep up with what's about, by reading the Empire site. Watch as many films as possible on Film4, and any other channel that shows recent films I've not had the chance to see yet.
    I know what you mean about the dilemma of what your favourite film is, mine changes every couple of years now. It's tricky to choose, don't think I'd want to risk it, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post, thanks Cat from me and everyone at FILMCLUB...! Our tastes are clearly very similar too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to know everyone's guilty film pleasure. I have several.... but Titanic is up there. Is that shameful?

    ReplyDelete