Friday 26 February 2010

The Day I Dropped my Basket


The blues. Grey days. Being under the weather. Not quite yourself. There are a worrying amount of euphemisms for depression. Why is that? Is it because we can’t face the D-word ourselves? Or is it because we can’t face the way people look at you when mention it? Either way, the result is the same. As a society, we tend to turn away from the issue, brush it under the psychological carpet and hope that the people that suffer from it keep it to themselves.

Well, I’m not one of those people. I’ve ‘dropped my basket’ (my own personal euphemism) twice now. The first time was three years ago and what a terrifying time that was. I wrote about it at the time. I remember feeling the need to do it. While most people spoke to me about my depression in hushed whispers I started to feel the need to shout about it from the rooftops. So, I sat down with my MySpace account and posted a blog and you know what? It was the easiest blog to write. Maybe it was a necessary and cathartic process for me but maybe, just maybe, I wanted to people to sit up and think, “Hang on a minute. Cat’s depressed? Really? I’d never would have seen that coming!”

You and me both. I think if you’d have asked my childhood/teenage/university friends who would be most likely to suffer from depression, I honestly would have been way down on that list. I am the quintessential ‘glass-half-full’ girl. I’m a believer in positive thinking. I hunt down silver linings as if my life depends on it but three years ago, for some reason that quality within me withered and died.

It’s a very weird feeling when you wake up in the middle of the night and you don’t recognise yourself. One of the symptoms of depression is sleeplessness. When you’re lying in bed at 3.30am overwhelmed by weighty feelings and thoughts that feel entirely alien to you it doesn’t take long before you realise that it’s the loneliest place in the world. Of course, the more sleep you lose, the more tired you become, the more unable you are to handle the stuff that life throws at you.

All the things I loved to do – run, read, write, go out, watch TV – I couldn’t bring myself to get excited about any of it. More than that, I couldn’t concentrate on any of it. Not only could I not watch an episode of Eastenders all the way through without losing my mojo to these newly discovered dark depths, I couldn’t even concentrate on managing my life. Trying to write a to-do list was the hardest thing I could attempt. If, by some miracle, I managed to compile a list of things that needed doing the chances of me being able to finish a job were slim to none (there was more chance of me poking white hot needles into my eyes and cooking them for dinner). I couldn’t hold my own in a conversation. All my confidence and humour was magically sapped from me. As for making a decision? It would have been easier to try and fit the proverbial camel through the eye of a needle.

Just as I started to wonder who the girl in the mirror was staring back at me, I began recognising the same confused looks on the faces of my friends and family. I knew I loved my family and friends but for the life of me I couldn’t feel it. I would spend time mentally searching through the emotional caverns of my psyche and nothing would buzz. I’d feel nothing. I think that was the scariest thing. It wasn’t always that I felt overwhelmingly sad (although doubtless, that was often the case). It was more that I felt nothing; I was joyless. It was as if the real me had been put to sleep and no matter what I did to try and wake it from its slumber it remained numb, unfeeling, deadened. Sooner rather than later, I gave up trying to rouse it.

And so I spent a long time feeling isolated, lonely, tired and very scared. I had no idea what was happening. I was from the north. Depression didn’t happen up there. If you felt blue in Yorkshire you pretended you were a pair of bathroom curtains and pulled yourself together. You called up mates, had a couple of drinks and got over it. If you mention therapy up north they need a dictionary to figure out what you mean and once they know, they’ll think it is American. And Prozac? Well that’s what they use in Hollywood isn’t it?

My parents observed this change in me for some time. Just like me, they were unsure about this usurper. Who was this girl? Is this invasion of the body-snatchers...for real? It wasn’t until my mum found me on the doorstop, just before Christmas, not just dropping my metaphorical basket but turning it upside down, emptying it out and throwing it repeatedly against a wall. I was inconsolable. The depression had won. I had lost. The tiniest hope I’d had of ever feeling normal again had disappeared.

A trip to the doctors was all it took.

It wasn’t long before I fully understood what had happened. Yes, it was probably exacerbated by stress and maybe the time of year. Yes, it was a chemical in-balance that caused my brain to malfunction temporarily and yes, I let it go on for a lot longer than I should have done. I simply didn’t know that there was anything wrong. I honestly believed I just needed to get over it. The relief I felt when the doctor explained the reality of what was happening to me was indescribable. This wasn’t my fault! It could be easily fixed!

It took a little prejudicial adjustment on my part to come to terms with being on medication. I had to separate ‘mental illness’ from ‘crazy’. I had to embrace the fact that depression wasn’t a far-away illness that happened to other people and for me that meant writing about it and talking about it. I recovered and began to feel my old enthusiasm rising up through the cracks. The ball of anxiety that had taken up squatter’s rights in my chest began to melt away and day by day, I remembered what it was like to wake up in my own life again.

I think the biggest surprise was the realisation that depression had ‘happened’ to more people than I realised. Without warning, the most unsuspecting of people would listen to my story and reply, “I went through a similar thing...” I began to realise that this was happening to more people that I could ever have imagined.
Worryingly, some of those people still live in fear of the social backlash, the prejudice and the downright ignorance that still surround this issue and resist ever getting the support and help that they deserve. Imagine you wake up one morning and your back has gone. You can’t move. You’re in pain and there’s nothing you can do to make it go away except perhaps take some medication, get some treatment and wait it out. No one would question your illness. No one would question your temporary inability to lead a normal, happy existence. ‘Dropping your basket’ is exactly the same thing. The only difference is, people can understand a bad back. People aren’t uncomfortable with bad backs.

5 comments:

  1. Totally get you, Cat. I've witnessed my dad suffer from depression, I even believe my mother had it though she was never diagnosed, my half sister is going counselling, even my cousin is/was on anti-depressants and I honestly think I had it as a teenager at school. I've been dancing since I was 4 but when I hit my teens and things got difficult for me, I felt no passion for it. I hated going dancing. It didn't make me feel the way I used to and I hated that I hated everything. (Apparently depression runs in the family).

    Kudos to you for getting treatment - a lot of people think it's something to be ashamed of or they don't want to tell people about it because they won't understand. What might seem like a small issue to other people can cause a big impact to someone else. I think it's important for people to relate to one another...like you said, laying awake in bed with dark thoughts is such a lonely place to be and for that person to discover that someone else feels the same can be a huge relief. You're not weird, you're just going through difficult times like anyone else and there's something you can do about it.

    I studied counselling for a year and it's unbelieveable how sad some people's lives are. We really do have to count our blessings and one thing I realised is that even if you are horrifically depressed, once you get out of the black hole you'll have people welcoming you back to the land of the living.

    Having a lot of love whatever you're going through certainly helps shine a light on your way out of a dark, cold, dismal cave :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I also find writing incredibly therapeutic. It's a healthy way of letting your emotions out and organising your thoughts. Don't know why I felt the need to say that, but I'ma post it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very moving - and recognisable - post. thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow-- you and I have lived such parallel lives in so many ways. You don’t know how comforting it is for me to know that there is someone else out there about my same age who has shared similar life experiences. Earlier this week, I was trying to find someone who shared my frustrations with the teaching profession. Every now and then I will do a Google search for “teachers with frustrations” or something to that end and I rarely find a blog or article that speaks to me and my particular situation. BOTH of your blogs have hit the mark with me. I know I already commented on your first blog, but just again last night I was venting to my husband about some kids in my class. He responded as he usually does with, “Just keep trying to learn to let it go when you’re not at school.” What you said about not being able to turn your thoughts off school off after is so true for me and has always been. I envy my husband for being able to go to his engineering job and leave it all there at 5 o’clock. . .he is getting better at learning that this teaching gig is just plain emotionally, mentally and physically draining and is not a 9-5 job. I am constantly questioning myself as to the profession I’ve chosen. . .

    Secondly, I too have been through depression. . .mine actually hit me like a ton of bricks. It began my first two weeks of teaching ten years ago. . .I started at an inner-city school with the first-year teacher mind-set of, “I’m going to be the best teacher. . not let any kid fall behind. . .get them ALL to LOVE Spanish.” And then. . .reality sunk in. The second Friday night of the school year, I typed up my letter of resignation. I just could not bare the thought of going back to kids who were unmotivated, angry, and cared not for anything I could possibly try to teach them. Saturday morning I could not even get out of bed. . and then Sunday came. . still in my bed. . .Monday. . Tuesday. My mom was kind enough to actually make my sub plans and take them over to my school. Wednesday came and my parents literally had to carry me to the doctor—I was emotionally paralyzed. The doctor urged me not to quit so soon and signed a slip to allow me a leave of absence for two weeks. He set me up on meds (Celaxa was my life saver) and got me right into counseling. I remember at first feeling like a phony for being diagnosed with depression—I too was the person who always saw the glass half full and friends/family would never believe would have such a disease. . . but slowly I realized that it was nothing to be ashamed of—I had a chemical imbalance in my brain caused by the trauma of teaching! When I started thing of it that way, I felt less like a phony I guess. . .

    The meds and counseling really helped put me back on track and I have come to terms (well, sometimes I’m still coming to terms) with realizing that I cannot control others—all I can do is try to set a good example and do my best to teach those kids Spanish. .whether the students want to take it or leave it is ultimately up to them.

    Wow! This has been quite therapeutic for me!!!!! Thank you for your blogs!!!!! You’ve started something now!! . I can’t wait to read your next entry! I so wish I were as eloquent with words as you are!!! Thanks CAT!!! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surely this post will hit home with others as it does with me... I really appreciate how clearly you express things, love your turn of phrase: "The ball of anxiety that had taken up squatter’s rights in my chest began to melt away..." Such a great image. Well done.

    ReplyDelete