Thursday 25 February 2010

To ski or not to ski?



So, I stand at a crossroads. Well, actually, I’m not quite there yet but as I check my metaphorical life map I can see this fork looming in the road up ahead and frankly, it’s a little terrifying.

We’ve all had to make life-changing, or life-forming, decisions but the irony is that these tend to fall naturally towards the beginning of our time in the big bad world. Just like a small child learning how to ski, there’s little that will stop them from heading head-first down the steep, avalanche-likely slope.

At the tender age of 14 or 15 we are asked to narrow our options. So, blindly and with little thought, we select some GCSEs to keep us busy. Then, after two years, depending on how those GCSEs turned out, we may select A Levels. Or we may not. The point is, that we are always blithely unaware of how defining those choices are. When we are barely exploring our teenage years and at a time when nature makes us our most indecisive, fickle and uncertain we are asked to look down the lifelong corridor of open doors and decide which ones we are going to lock up forever.

Of course, the reality is that when we are making those decisions, there are teachers and parents and universities who have developed finely tuned PR skills to make us think that doors are actually opening; more than that, we are actually discovering new doors. What a clever ploy they have going on there and how perfect that we are at our least able to realise how deftly they are manipulating us.

But please don’t misunderstand me. I don’t believe this is a negative thing. It’s a necessary thing; just like puberty in all its horrible glory, and your first break-up, all these things are necessary to get us to define what we want, who we want to be and where we want to end up. Our ignorance is the anaesthetic that makes all these gut-wrenchingly difficult choices manageable. And believe me, they are gut-wrenching because for every child who fearlessly learns to ski without a worry in the world, there is always an anxious and much more wobbly adult hankering nervously behind somewhere.

While the child simply revels in the excitement of the experience, the adult with their oh so important perspective and hindsight suddenly realise the enormity of what they are doing. Does no one else realise that this is a crazy idea? I’ve just attached two pieces of fibreglass (or whatever skis are made from these days) to my feet and planted myself at the top of an unusually steep hill and now I’m supposed to enjoy the ride down while the very real possibilities of serious breakage, or even death, loom over me? Er, I think I’ll sit this one out.

And that’s the cross roads that I find myself at now. Do I sit it out or do I throw myself headlong into something that could be potentially very risky? Is it very risky, or has my anaesthetic simply worn off? Am I skiing with the wind in my hair or am I in the bar drinking vin chaud, warm and comfortable but, frankly, a little bored?

A career change is doubtless a terrifying concept to imagine. For someone who’s nearly thirty, earning decent money and living a comfortable life in London the prospect of giving that up seems crazy and yet, as a 22 year old in the same situation it didn’t bother me at all.

Immediately after graduating from university, I fled to London Town in search of a career. I honestly had no idea what I wanted to do, but there was a boy who lived down there and that was a good enough reason. What other factors were there? I landed myself a Buyer’s Admin Assistant job at a prestigious fashion company in the West End. What a coup! But after a year of office work and scrimping and saving in London, I abandoned it.

Without much more than a second thought I jacked in a job that a million fashion graduates would have chewed their own Vivienne Westwood boots up for. I left. I flitted around for a bit. I did a TEFL qualification. I worked for a ski season in Courchevel. I did some work in a florist. I turned down a job offer at Ralph Lauren (despite the anaesthetic, that does still hurt a little) and I didn’t care. I seemed to have this unflappable belief that it would all work out in the end. Finally, I moved back up North and applied to do my teaching qualification at the University of Leeds and here I am…five years later teaching English in an inner-city London school.

So, what changed? After five years of teaching there’s something in me that’s asking, “Is this all I can do?” It’s not that I hate teaching. I hate elements of it for sure, but all in all, teaching is a pretty decent gig. Yes the workload is excessive. The hours are long. The holidays are great but there’s always work to be done and after what feels like a very long five years, there has not been a lie-in, a Christmas day, a long-hot bath or a run in the park, where I’ve been able to relax, stop thinking about work and say to myself, “I’ve got this under control.” Teaching is a ‘live to work’ profession and I think, I’m looking for a work-to-live job at least for now. At least until I’ve had a rest.

What I did at 22 seems so alien to me now. Can I justify jacking in a job that allows me to live the life I want to live? Can I justify walking away from such a noble profession to be, let’s face it, more selfish? Do I dare to do these things? There’s no doubt about it; I am the shaking, nervous adult standing behind the ballsy child ready to hit the nearest snow park and land some gnarly rides having barely removed his snow equivalent to stabilisers. But what’s the worse that can happen? I’m sure there’ll be wobbles and maybe even the odd fall, there may even be a metaphorical leg-break but it’s unlikely that it will kill me. And, what if it doesn’t work out as smoothly as I hope? Well there’s always the bar and the vin chaud waiting for me.

6 comments:

  1. Blimey you're a pretty good writer aren'tcha. I was gripped all the way through. Usually I just skim read but you describe things so well and found myself identifying with you and I'm only 20!

    I got a career for you: WRITER. Books, magazines, newspapers, tour guides...you got it. You have a life experience, you have imagination, you got words. Use them wisely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW--you are so thoughtful with your words. I truly mean that. I love it when people choose their words carefully! It's the equivalent of eating a delicious meal!

    You have no idea that I feel the exact same things you feel as a teacher and about life in general! In fact, I've been feeling them even more now that I am approaching my tenth year of teaching and 8th year of marriage. I find myself looking inward and wondering more and more about decisions I've made in the past and why/how I wound up here.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy at all but not necessarily "complete" either. I feel very much in limbo right now as well. It seems like I should be living the picture perfect life . . .but I just can't stop questioning things. . .Am I doing what I love? What I TRULY love? Do I even KNOW WHAT it IS that I love??? Do I even KNOW the person I've become over the years? I still haven't had kids yet and that IS by choice--what am I afraid of? I don't know. . .something still just doesn't feel--"settled". . .these are things that keep me up at night. . pondering, pondering. . will I ever know? There is a line in an Elton John song that I love: "Is this God's experiment. . in which we have no say?". . .sometimes I think so...sometimes not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly where you're coming from. Two years ago I had a communications job that was relatively secure, paid the bills, and wasn't a job waiting tables (like some of my former classmates were doing) - but it still didn't "fit." I was spending my days doing corporate communications and PR for the oil and gas industry which I found mind-numbingly boring. Eventually I made the leap to another job which was supposed to go permanent, but wound up ending after an eight month contract - but I don't regret it. Now I'm sitting here playing the "what's next?" game myself, and you're absolutely right - it's downright terrifying. And I wholeheartedly agree with your skiing analogy; the older you get, the scarier it gets.

    I've blogged on a similar topic myself recently:

    http://www.manasmusings.com/2009/12/gen-y-at-work-aka-the-pursuit-of-the-dream-job/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... I have to say, I feel like I'm in the exact same position! I'm also a teacher, though I've only been at it for 3 years. By the time i finally got a permanent job (6 hours away from home!) I found that although I really enjoyed teaching, I just didn't feel like it was for me. It was such a hard decision to make, but I could tell that my heart wasn't in it anymore.

    I ended up coming home, and I decided to look into doing IT. I'm still doing a course and have lined up a job looking after laptops the government are giving out to high school kids (which I haven't started yet, but that's another long and boring story!), and I feel a lot happier about where my life is headed.

    The point of my long (and probably boring!) story is that sometimes you need a chance of scenery. I don't see it as being selfish, I see it as broadening your horizons. The beauty of being a teacher is that you can always go back to it at a later stage.

    Take your time, and find something that you really enjoy doing. It's worth it, trust me!

    Tegan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your writing, it's very eloquent and to the point.
    As a 35-year old I've been feeling more or less the same thing for the last few years. I have a good and stable job (working for the government), it's interesting, great colleagues but I can't see myself doing this for the rest of my life. I also had more exciting jobs in the past (record company, etc.)
    I'm seriously thinking about making photography, which is a huge hobby of mine, a more important part of my life. Maybe first trying working halftime or something along those lines.
    It's difficult to give up the stability and certainty of a certain job, but sometimes we have to dare to take a plunge.
    I'm really looking forward to future blog entries.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I see my own daughter in a lot of what you describe. I think there are a lot of your generation going through a similar dilemma. Guided every step of the way through education, making choices based on parents and teachers' advice on what will stand you in good stead for an appropriate (in their eyes) career. Even encouraged to go to university by the government, only to find there are no jobs at the end of it. When you finally emerge from the path which was never really your own to follow, no wonder you are confused.

    Many of my contemporaries sat O-levels and went straight into jobs. They didn't have a choice, the money was needed at home. And university was only just becoming an option for any but the elite. Jobs were plentiful, you usually had a choice. Stress was not a word in anyone's vocabulary. You climbed the ladder, if you wanted to, and you didn't live in fear of redundancy. Another word that has crept into our vocabulary, and which strikes fear in every working person.

    People have so much choice now, the world is a smaller place, and access to greener grass is relatively easier, and cheaper. If you don't have these options, you just get on with it.We married young because we were afraid of being left on the shelf. Sometimes we weren't happy, but our choices were limited and we followed our predessors lead. So many marriages of the sixties and seventies ended in divorce, because suddenly we could see we had choices.

    The pressures on younger people now are enormous, and I wouldn't want to be in any of your shoes. I admire my daughter for ending a four year relationship because she wasn't 100% certain he was the one for her. I admire her for giving up a well paid job because she hated every minute of it. Where she goes from here no-one knows. She certainly doesn't. But she now has the opportunity, with a clean slate, to find what makes her tick. As long as eventually, she can be happy, that's truly all that really matters.

    ReplyDelete